Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Ello Gov-nut

I was walking through the store the other day and ther was this little kid wandering around one of the pallets in the middle of the aisle, right near the registers. I was in line and he was just going round and round, like he was preparing for some kind of mini Nascar race with the little boy two aisles over. But as he was making the rounds he started saying, not yelling really, but loudly... " 'Ello Guv-Nut' " like a twisted butler on any BBC show ever. but not 'govna' - 'gov-nut'. with a real ephasis on the T sound in nut.

The first pass was funny - the second was cute, but by the 8th circuit you could see the vein in his fathers neck just pulsing with frustration. He was trying to keep the kid quite. He was embarrassed but the kid had no clue. He had obvioulsy seen some movie or show that he liked (as kids often do) and was just repeating the line he liked over and over.

I have not laughed that hard in a while. To this day I don't know if it was more at the little boy in his naive repetion of a favorite phrase, or the father who by the time they left looked like he could use a stiff drink. Either way it was a great moment for me.

To that all I can say to all of you is... "Ello Gov-Nut!"

1 comment:

  1. I would've pissed myself laughing right in the checkout line.

    ReplyDelete